Thursday 17 February 2011

Nice to know that I survived the half-term holiday

From Monday to Wednesday this week, it was a school's half-term holiday. I have been in this country for nearly 16 years, but I still don't understand why schools need such "half-term" holidays. They don't learn much just after exams, they don't learn almost anything during a few days before and after long holidays. So, when do they learn?

Right. I don't like this half-term thingy. It gets on my nerves because I have to work. It's a miracle that I am still alive today, after 3 days of my kids winding me up. Oh well, that's life. I must enjoy quietness this morning.

We went to Belfast on Saturday (again!). Actually, I had planned this trip for my wee one's friend who had never been to the city centre. But she became ill and her uncle visited from abroad. So, she couldn't come. We invited another girl, but she couldn't come, either, because her father in Dublin suddenly decided to spend the weekend with her. So, it was only 3 of us who went.

This time, we visited Ulster Musem in the university area. We LOVED the museum. It's family friendly, no entrance fee, and there were good variety of displays. I do recommend anyone who visits Northern Ireland to pop into the museum. But I must tell you that you wouldn't like it if you don't like children. I mean, there were a few occasions some toddlers and babies crying somewhere in the building, but nobody butted an eyelid. This country is very tolerant towards children, you see.

One more thing about the museum. Traybakes in the cafe are out of this world! It cost me just over a tenner when I bought 2 coffee, 1 hot chocolate and 3 buns (apple + cinnamon scone, brownies and cherry bakewell slice). But it was worth the money, indeed. I'm sure we will go to the cafe for a break again the next time. 

After the museum, we went into one of the nerdiest bookshop in this country (just across the road from the Queens), and my big girl got a Japanese-learning book, and I got a book on linguistics. My wee one got 3 pens. She looked at the paper bag and said "I feel intelligent now!"

After walking to the city centre and shopping a bit, we ate at Nando's and headed home. I promised one of the girls who couldn't come with us that I would take her to the museum.

Note to myself: A friendly staff at Nando's and a Parcelforce delivery man who came here yesterday looked quite similar. Their "chattiness" was kind of identical, too. Are they the same person or related or something?

No comments:

Post a Comment