Monday 6 June 2011

Mooncup: A beginner’s review


If you would not like to read women’s stuff, please go to another page NOW.

Mooncup is very little known in this country, even though being sold by a UK company. This menstrual cup is, in short, a reusable silicon cup that catches discharge inside vagina. An alternative for sanitary towels and tampons. All you need is one Mooncup. So, no need to keep spending your money for buying hundreds of packets of pads and tampons, and also no need to contribute polluting the environment by such disposable sanitary goods.

Sounds good? I guess many of you have apprehension. Would Mooncup be as good as testimonials in its official website? Would it hurt? Would it leak? Isn’t it expensive? Is it hygienic? Would it messy to handle? Well, such questions popped up in my head, but I plucked up courage and bought one. So, here is my personal review of Mooncup.

Price
Mooncup is £21.99 at Boots, and around £17 – 18 on the net. Yes, it’s not a kind of stuff that you buy just because it caught your eyes in a shop by chance. It looks horribly expensive especially when it is sitting beside a price sign for other sanitary goods such as “Buy 2 for £2”. If you live on the dole, such a price puts you off to start using a Mooncup, of course. BUT, one Mooncup lasts for many years (unless you lose it), and it won’t take you long to spend £22 for sanitary goods.  So, it is not really expensive.

Size
Mooncup is available in two sizes: A and B, but it is very easy to choose one that is right for you. No need to measure anything, no need to calculate anything. Just with your age and birth experience, you pick your size.
After opening the box, the first thing I thought was “Wow, bigger than I thought!” But the thing is, I actually don’t know the exact anatomy of my body inside. So, no wonder I was surprised. After all, I gave birth to two babies. So, a Mooncup is not big really.
How to use
One thing that I like about Mooncup is that it shouldn’t go deep inside your body.  But I guess some of women/girls, who, for example, have never been examined for gynaecological/obstetrical reasons, might not like the idea of inserting an object inside. But for those who do not become too nervous or embarrassed to examine the parts by themselves, and who have given births, there shouldn’t be any big problems. All you have to do is practise to get used to this new device. It might take a few tries until you feel confident using your Mooncup. But it’s a kind of skill that you quickly learn by a bit of experience. 

Leakage?
I bet the biggest worry for everyone is leakage. In my case, there were 3 leakages during the first time. But it happened during the heaviest days, and each was just a very tiny stain (and fortunately I was wearing a small sanitary towel).  Compared to the days I used conventional towels, my clothes are much cleaner with Mooncup.

Comfortable?
Yes, definitely. I often forget it was in the middle of my period when I used my Mooncup, because I don’t feel a thing while wearing it and also because my skin is clean and dry. It is fine while exercising, sleeping, running, etc. I feel liberated, indeed, and I’m not exaggerating about this feeling of freedom.

Messy?
Yes, if you count emptying bloody discharge into toilet/drain as messy. But definitely NO to me. It is handy if you have a sink next to a toilet so that you can rinse your Mooncup while sitting on the toilet. But I was absolutely fine even in public toilets. You will soon get used to handling the cup, surely.

My verdict
I’m sure that my Mooncup will stay with me for another several years. I do understand various kinds of apprehensions and I don’t want to be pushy, but I recommend any women to have a try. The price and availability are a main issue, surely. Big supermarkets such as Tesco seem not keen to stock Mooncups. Also, the “disposable” culture and current economic climate, which hinder eco-friendlier life, does not encourage women to start using them. 

Anyway, thanks for reading this much.

No comments:

Post a Comment