Sunday 13 March 2011

This is the time for implementing practical help/support, not for praying.

Right. I should write about the earthquake, which turned me upside down even when I was 6000 miles away on Friday.

Not physically upside-down, of course.

Getting in touch with my family in Tokyo, Chiba and Hokkaido wasn't instantly done, but they sent me emails within a few hours. So, it was OK. But the current concern is my university friend and her family who live in Sendai city. She is a senior high-school teacher. So, I guess she was at school when the quake struck, and her daughter could be at a nursery school. She hasn't got in touch with me and the other friends yet. Probably they are at an evacuation centre or they might be still looking for each other. I am trying to think positively about her and her family, knowing that it could take several more days for them to be able to contact anyone other than their immediate families. Still, I must admit that I am worried about their well-being.

All I can do now is make a donation to Japan Tsunami Appeal of the British Red Cross, which I did yesterday. Gathering every little piece of information on TV news and the internet, I've now started thinking that what more I can do to help Japan and its people. I'm not a patriotic kind of person, and I don't give a toss about my nationality. But people in Japan are the one who fed me and brought me up to make me what I am, which I'm very grateful about. So, this is my time to make decent contributions to the country and its people by whatever ways possible. I don't know what I can do. I don't know how much, either. But there should be something. So, I will be thinking until I find something.

No comments:

Post a Comment